Mayville Public Library
|Mayville Public Library|
|Designer||Albrant, William C.|
|Location||Mayville, North Dakota, USA|
|Construction System||Stone, Brick, Glass|
|Street Address||Center Ave., N. Walk Score|
|National Register of Historic Places|
|Name||Mayville Public Library|
|NRHP Status||Listed In The National Register|
|Level of Significance||Local|
|NRHP Documents||Text (pdf) ; Photos (pdf)|
North Dakota received eleven of the more than 1,800 libraries underwritten by Andrew Carnegie, three for its colleges and eight as public facilites. Of those eleven buildings, three were designed by architect William C. Albrant [1871-1905], the public libraries at Mayville (1900) and Valley City (1902), and the library at the Agricultural College (1905; now NDSU), all of them in the prevailing classical revival style. Taken together, they also represent a young architect's developing design capabilities.
W. C. Albrant was born in Ontario and emigrated to northeast North Dakota with his parents. After taking a few courses at the state's new Agricultural College in Fargo, Albrant "went east" around 1899 for more formal training in architecture--a vague reference to what might have taken him as far as Champaign-Urbana, IL, or Syracuse, NY, the nearest schools with a curriculum in architecture at that time. Returning to Fargo about 1900, he opened an office but died in 1905, aged 46, fewer than seven years into a promising career. His completed works included several churches, public schools, a few large houses and at least three libraries. Curiously, Mrs. Albrant was pregnant at the time of her husband's death; their son William C. G. Albrant, born posthumously, studied architecture briefly before choosing a career in chiropractic.