St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Parish Hall
|St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Parish Hall|
|Location||Durant, Iowa, USA|
|Construction System||Concrete, Wood, Shingle, Other, Tin, Brick|
|Street Address||206 6th Ave. Walk Score|
|Notes||also known as St. Paul's Church, Durant|
|National Register of Historic Places|
|Name||St. Paul's Episcopal Church and Parish Hall|
|NRHP Status||Listed In The National Register|
|Level of Significance||Local|
|NRHP Documents||Text (pdf) ; Photos (pdf)|
In May of 1895, the congregation had outgrown its ﬁrst building. On May 28, the original building was sold, and the present building purchased from the Congregationalists, who had built it in 1856. The members of Saint Paul’s were careful to move the beautiful bell donated to the ﬁrst church in 1874 by the Sunday School children, the stained glass windows, and the furniture of the old church.
The sanctuary of the present church was added in 1895 to accommodate Episcopal worship. In 1898, the young men of the parish built the parish hall, or "Reading Room," which stands next to the church. Over the years it has served as Sunday School building, vicar’s ofﬁce, town library, and town community center.
Between 1925 and 1944, Saint Paul’s, the only one of Durant’s original ﬁve churches to survive, was itself unable to hold regular worship services. In spite of this fact, the residents of Durant maintained the "Old Church," as it was known, in the hopes that it might someday reopen. In June 1944, clergy and lay leaders from Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Davenport restarted services, which have continued to this day.
Improvements to the property have been made over the years, with an undercroft added to the church in 1950, and a detailed restoration of the "gingerbread gothic" steeple and belfry in 1979. In 1985 the buildings of Saint Paul's were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.